Nantymwyn Lead Mine
OBITUARY OF CAPTAIN JOSEPH ARGALL

We have with regret to announce the death of Captain Joseph Argall, of Nantymwyn House, managing director of the Rhandir-mwyn Lead Mines, which occurred at the Llandovery Cottage Hospital on Friday morning last following an operation.   The deceased was a native of Cornwall and 63 years of age.  He had spent the greater part of his life at Rhandirmwyn and employed a large number of men at the lead mines.  He was highly esteemed both at Rhandirmwyn and Llandovery.  He was of a generous nature and of the highest integrity in business and was a striking personality.  He will be sadly missed in the district.  The funeral took place on Monday 4th inst.  (Nov 1929)   There was a large and representative gathering which testified to the esteem in which the deceased was held in the district in which he had resided for 40 years and loved so much.  The internment was in St. Barnabas Churchyard, Rhandirmwyn.   Among the general public present were the Revs. J. A. Jones, L.D., vicar of Ystradffin;  J. Rees, B.A., vicar of Llandovery;  E.  Jenkins, vicar of Cilycwm ;   Mr T. Roberts, manager of Lloyds Bank, Llandovery ;  Mr Wickes, general accountant of the Nantymwyn Mine Company ;  Captain J. Nile, who represented the co-Directors of the Nantymwyn Mine Company ;  Mr  T Jones, Castle Hotel, Llandovery ; Miss Jones, matron, Llandovery Cottage Hospital ;  Mr E. Williams and Mr Ken Williams, Brynawel ;  Mr  J. Phillips, town clerk, Llandovery ;  Councillor H. V. Watkins, Tycerrig, Llandovery ;  Councillor  J. C. Jones, Glasfryn, Llandovery ;  Councillor A. H. Gower, Llandovery ;  Mr D. Anthony, Llandovery ;   Mr E. Roberts, Crown Stores, Llandovery ;  Mr D. Williams, Vergwm ;  Mr Griffiths, Swansea ;  Mr W. J. Bound, stationmaster, Llandovery  (representing the Joint  Railway Companies) ;  
Ex-Inspector Alfred Jones, Post Office, Rhandirmwyn ;   Mr W. J. Stave, secretary, South Wales and Portland cement Company, Penarth ;  Mr A. S. Philips, Penarth ;  Mr Wyndham Price,  Emlyn House, Llandovery ;  Mr E. H. Griffiths, M. E., Sketty ;  Messrs Jack, Harold and Bertie Jones, Castle Hotel ;  Mr and Mrs Isaac Thomas, School House, Rhandirmwyn ;   Mr Ronald Lewis, engineer, Nantymwyn Mine Company ;  Mr Timothy Griffiths, Llandovery ;  Mr R. Evans, Gwynfaes ;  Councillor D. J. Lewis, Glancrychan ;  Mr W. J. Grey, London House, Llandovery ;  Mr T. Thomas, Cartef, Rhandirmwyn ;  
Mr W. Jones, Alma House, Llandovery ;  Mr Fred. Pugh, Garage, Llandovery ;  Mr J Davies, Nantfforest ;   Mr James Thomas, Troedrhiwfer ;  Mr William Davies, Carngof ;   Mr W. Price, Pwll (may be Gwernpwll) ;  Mr Ivor Jones, Penrhyn ;  Mr J. Bowen, Pwllpriddog ;  Mr Thomas, Nantgwyn ;   Mrs Jones, Penrhyn ;  Mr Dan Davies, Pendennis, Llandovery and the Employees at the Nantymwyn Lead Mines.   The mourners were :  Mr William Henry Argall, Truro, Cornwall (cousin) ;  Mrs Emma Jane Argall, Truro (cousin) ;  Mr Wm. Herbert Argall, Truro (cousin) ;  Miss Kathleen Argall, Truro (cousin), and Mr Charles Sydney Franklin, Nantymwyn (who for 17 years had acted as foreman at the mines).   

The coffin, which was of unpolished oak with massive silver fittings, bore the following inscription :-  “Joseph Argall, died November 1st, 1929 ; aged 63 years.”  
The service at the house of the deceased was conducted by the vicar of the parish, Rev. J. A. Jones.   

Outside the house the hymn,  “ O Fryniau Caersalem.” Was rendered.  The body was then borne to St Barnabas Church, the bearers being, Messrs William Evans, Cwmsaethau (sadly  died in a mining accident at the Nantymwyn Lead Mine June 1930) ; William Renowden, Royal Oak ;  William Evans, The Terrace (Nantymwyn Terrace) ;   James Davies, Crincae ;   Emrys Thomas, Troedrhiwfer ;  James Thomas, Gelly ;  David Walters, The Terrace (Nantymwyn Terrace), and David Jones, Plasnewydd.   An impressive service was held in the church, which was full to capacity.  The service opened with the rendering of the favourite hymn of the deceased, “Jesu, lover of my Soul.”  The Psalm was read by the Rev. E. Jenkins ;  the lesson by Mr T Roberts, Lloyds Bank ;  and a prayer was offered by the Rev.  J. Rees vicar of Llandovery.  The service concluded with the Welsh hymn,  “Gwel uwchlaw cymylau amser.”   At the graveside the committal service was conducted by the Rev.  J. A. Jones vicar of Ystradffin and the hymn. “Bydd myrdd o ryfeddodau.” Was sung.  Beautiful wreaths were sent by the following relatives and friends :-  Mr W. H. Argall and family Truro ;  Matron and Staff, Llandovery Cottage Hospital ;  Miss Mary Franklin, Nantymwyn ;  Mr T. Jones, Castle Hotel ;  The Manager and Officials at Nantymwyn Mines ;  Mr C. S. Franklin and family Nantymwyn ;
Mr E. H. Griffiths and Sons, Picton House, Sketty ;  Mr and Mrs E. Roberts, Crown Stores, Llandovery ;  Mr and Mrs E. Williams, Brynawel ;  Mr and Mrs Thomas, the Staff and Scholars of Rhandirmwyn School ;  Mr and Mrs Arthur Williams, Clifton, Sketty ;  Employees of the Nantymwyn Company ;  Captain and Mrs Ommanney, Rumania.

Carmarthen Journal 8th November 1929